• トップ
  • 糸満市のみどころ
  • おすすめコースガイド
  • 交通アクセス

Takamine Sugar Factory Site

2019年3月26日

  Takamine Sugar Factory was established in 1912 and was the first machine-run sugar factory in Okinawa. Starting in 1914, spring water from Yozaga was used to make ice at the factory during the non-sugar production season. In the grounds of the factory was housing for the company employees where electricity was available at each household. It also contained a shared bathhouse, a barbershop, pool hall, tennis courts and other facilities, forming a community.

During the Battle of Okinawa, alcohol was also produced here upon orders by the Japanese military. The chimney of the factory was destroyed by the Japanese forces as they thought it would be a bombing target. Besides the gateposts and the molasses tank, everything in the factory facilities was destroyed in the land battle. Bullet marks remain on the molasses tank reminding us of the past.

  After the war, Yozaga well was used as a water point by the US Forces, and residents were prohibited from entering the area. The residents then moved on to the grounds of the former sugar factory and negotiated with the operating company on land purchases. The factory site was dived into 128.7 m2 lots, and there was a draw among those who wanted to purchase land.

  Commended for its contribution to the modernization of Japan, the Takamine Sugar Factory Site was recognized as a Heritage of Industrial Modernization by the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry.

地図

Takamine Sugar Factory Site

お問い合わせ

商工観光課
観光振興係
電話:098-840-8135